U.S. Marshals Arrest Suspect Wanted for two Murders After Long Stand-Off

U.S. Marshals of Northern Ohio

Cleveland, OH - Late this afternoon, members of the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force (NOVFTF) and the Cleveland Division of Police arrested 36-year-old Donta Dixon. Dixon was wanted for felonious assault and two counts of murder by the Cleveland Police. He was also wanted for weapons violations by the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Department.

On March 16 officers responded to a shots fired call in the area of West 54th St. and Storer Ave. in Cleveland’s Stockyard neighborhood. When police arrived, they found 29-year-old Stephanie Lee and 33-year-old Alonzo Lewis both with numerous gunshot wounds. Both victims died from their injuries. Additionally, Dixon was involved in a felonious assault shooting on May 7. He fired a rifle numerous times at a female victim while she drove her car. Shortly after that shooting, Dixon then led officers in a foot pursuit and vehicle pursuit. Eventually police called off the pursuit when Dixon got on to Interstate 90. Warrants were issued for Dixon in both cases after the second shooting. 

The task force began investigating Dixon’s whereabouts as soon as warrants were issued for his arrest and a $5,000 reward was also offered by the U.S. Marshals Service for information leading to Dixon’s arrest. 

Early this morning, members of the task force were able to narrow down a possible location where Dixon may be hiding out. Officers approached a home in the 3700 block of East 144th St., they were able to make contact with other occupants in the home who confirmed that Dixon was hiding upstairs. The Cleveland SWAT team also responded to the home to assist officers on scene. After over three hours barricaded in the home Dixon safely surrendered to law enforcement officers. A firearm was also recovered out of the home by Cleveland Police. Dixon was transported downtown to be interviewed by Cleveland homicide detectives.

U.S. Marshal Pete Elliott stated, “I am very proud of all the officers who responded to the scene today, the officers did everything they could to bring a very dangerous situation to a peaceful resolution. This fugitive has terrorized the community over the past two months, and we are thankful to have him behind bars.”

Photo courtesy of U.S. Marshals of Northern Ohio

(Copyright, iHeartMedia, 2021)

Listen to WTAM news at the top and bottom of the hour

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content