Painesville Apartment Complex Catches Fire

Painesville - The Red Cross was on scene at the Tropical Village apartment complex in Painesville, and assisted about 70 displaced residents following a fire Thursday evening.

Photos courtesy of Kyle Cornell / WTAM 1100

According to Painesville fire, flames were reported at the West Walnut Avenue complex around 9:30 p.m. Nine area departments responded to the fire, and at least one person was taken to the hospital. That person suffered burns from the blaze.

The fire started after the injured person left food cooking inside the kitchen in his apartment, then left it un-attended. When the tenant went back into the kitchen, a large fire was found. 

The apartment where the blaze started is a suspected complete loss, but all other apartments in the area at the complex are expected to be habitable, but will need to be cleaned after smoke and heat damage. The 70 or so displaced residents should be able to return to their apartments soon.

Hear news updates at the top and bottom of the hour: wtam.com/listen

title

Content Goes Here