(Cleveland) America’s Navy has arrived in cleveland, one of only 14 cities selected to host a Navy Week this year.
Cleveland Navy Week starts today and runs through September 2, 2018, coincident with the Cleveland National Air Show, and is designed to give area residents an opportunity to learn about the Navy, its people and its importance to national security and prosperity.
During a Navy Week, 75 outreach events are coordinated with corporate, civic, government, education, media, veterans, community service and diversity organizations in the city.
The Navy plans to include the following elements in the week-long celebration:
- U.S. Navy Blue Angels- Navy Band performances
- Senior Navy Leadership
- Sailors assigned to the state’s namesake submarine, USS Ohio
- Navy Divers and Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams
- Navy Oceanography/Meteorology scientists and displays
- Sailors from USS Constitution, the world’s oldest commissioned warship afloat
- Navy Medicine personnel
- Navy History and Heritage Command historians and displays
- The Navy’s new virtual reality simulator.
Every year, America's Navy comes home to approximately 15 cities across the country to show Americans why having a strong Navy is critical to the American way of life.Since 2005, the Navy Week program has served as the Navy's principal outreach effort into areas of the country without a significant Navy presence, with 210 Navy Weeks held in 74 different U.S. cities.
The program is designed to help Americans understand that their Navy is deployed around the world, around the clock, ready to defend America at all times.
(Photos by the U.S. Navy)
© 2018 iHeartMedia, Inc.
Hear news updates at the top and bottom of the hour: wtam.com/listen