(Westlake) - A house fire early Friday morning killed a man and woman who lived there.
The fire, at 1811 Clague Road in Westlake, was reported at 4:14 a.m. by a newspaper carrier, who saw heavy smoke coming from the house and called 911. The house is on Clague between Hilliard Blvd. and Center Ridge Road.
Two people were found inside the burning house, and were taken to the hospital. Westlake Police cay they are Diana Rego, 46, and Christopher Nakel, 56, who both lived at 1811 Clague Road.
Acting Westlake Fire Chief Russell Hetman told WTAM 1100 at the scene that the smoke from the fire was quite thick, and that, along with the darkness, made it hard to find the victims. Hetman says fatal fires are rare, in part because of the widespread use of smoke detectors.
The fire is being investigated by Westlake Police and Fire, and the State Fire Marshal. Among the issues to be determined is whether the house had working smoke detectors.
Westlake Fire was assisted by fire crews from Avon, Bay Village, Fairview Park, Lakewood, North Olmsted, and Rocky River.
(Photos by Carmen Angelo/WTAM 1100)