(Berea) – Because of expected high winds Wednesday afternoon, the Ohio Turnpike has instituted a limited travel ban from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. The Ohio Turnpike will be open to most traffic, but certain types of vehicles will be banned.
Banned vehicles on the Turnpike include:
- All triple-trailer combination commercial vehicles;
- Box-type double-trailer combination commercial vehicles in excess of ninety (90) feet in length.
- Mobile home/Office trailers.
- Boat and horse trailers towed by passenger vehicles or pickup trucks.
- High-profile campers and enclosed trailers, which are defined as trailers designed for a person of average height to stand in.
Not included in the travel ban are passenger automobiles, self-propelled motor homes, low-profile trailers, fold-down camper trailers, pick-up trucks with slide-on camper units, vehicles towing fifth-wheel type trailers, or any other type of trailers towed by passenger vehicles or pickup trucks. Also excluded from the Travel Ban are commercial trucks towing single flatbed or box-type trailers, flatbed double-trailer combinations in excess of ninety (90) feet and any double-trailer combination commercial vehicles less than ninety (90) feet.
A high wind warning is in effect for counties in Ohio near Lake Erie, and for nearly all of Northwest Ohio until 7:00 p.m. Winds in the warning area could gust up to 60 m.p.h.