GRAFTON, OH - The Old Grafton School on Elm Street in Grafton is being repurposed into an Art and Culture Center. The school was built in 1935 as a WPA Project and paid for with a bond raised by the people of Grafton and the surrounding area so their children could have a “First Class” education. In 1957 the Grafton School was expanded to accommodate the “Baby Boomers,” expanding the school into a 56,000 sq. ft. building. Students attended classes until 2002 and the school was closed in 2005 with all students attending the Midview Capel Road Campus. In 2008 the Grafton School was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A number of renovations and updates have already started. The asbestos has been abated, and the electric has been updated. The gymnasium, stage, restrooms, and locker rooms all have new HV/AC installed. The Principles Office has been updated as well, and the roof has been completely redone. Robert L. Hunter donated money to start a Genealogy Library and will have genealogists available to help people searching for their ancestors.
In the near future, the Nathan Perry Lorain Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution are moving into the renovated Principals office. A fiber artist studio that will teach weaving, dying, and sewing is in the works, that will be having classes starting this winter. Also, Soldiers of History will have a museum of military memorabilia collected by the late John Lescher and his ever popular troop of former soldiers who did outreach about the military history of the United States.
Longer term plans include hosting a Community Theater, music, and performance venues in the Gymnasium – which has a full theatrical stage. In May 2023 the Emmy Nominated Play “Trail Magic: The Grandma Gatewood Story” will be performed.
Hear news updates at the top and bottom of the hour: HERE