CLEVELAND – On Friday, August 12, 2022, the Feast of the Assumption celebration will begin in Cleveland’s Little Italy neighborhood on Mayfield Road.
The event will run through Monday, August 15, 2022, with a solemn mass at Holy Rosary Church and a procession throughout the streets of Little Italy.
“The Feast of the Assumption is an exciting time for the City of Cleveland,” said Mayor Justin M. Bibb “This 122-year-old tradition is an important celebration of faith, family, and the vibrant community in Little Italy."
“The Feast of the Assumption is always a wonderful time in the City of Cleveland,” said Police Chief Wayne Drummond. “Our officers will be on hand to ensure a safe event, and we hope all who attend will do their best to keep safety a top priority.”
“The Feast of the Assumption is a Cleveland tradition,” said Cleveland City Councilman Blaine Griffin. “The people are welcoming. The food is delicious. The entertainment options are plentiful. The Feast offers so much, and I urge all Clevelanders to experience this tradition at least once. Come once, and you’ll come again!”
“We look forward to celebrating this long-standing tradition with the Little Italy Community,” said Director of Public Safety Karrie D. Howard
Things to know:
Road Closures and Traffic
- Parking restrictions will go into effect at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 12, 2022, and run through 1:00 a.m. on Monday, August 15, 2022.
- Mayfield Road will be closed from Circle Drive to Fairview Road on Friday from 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. and Saturday through Monday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.
- Throughout the event, traffic is expected to be heavy in the University Circle and Little Italy neighborhood. The Division of Police will have extra traffic officers on hand.
- Those intending to attend the celebrations or enjoy time at a restaurant or establishment are reminded that parking will be hard to come by, and lots and garages may be full early on. Attendees are encouraged to consider riding RTA. Bus and rail services and routes can be viewed here. Be mindful of signage indicating road closures, as violators will be ticketed and towed at the owner’s expense. Towed vehicles may be retrieved from the City of Cleveland’s Impound Unit at 3040 Quigley Road.
- The 2022 Feast of the Assumption procession route begins on Mayfield Road at East 120th Street, continues throughout the neighborhood streets, and concludes at Holy Rosary Church. The entire parade route is closed. Observers are not to enter the parade route at any time.
- Those who bring minor children are reminded to be mindful of children’s whereabouts at all times. Small children can disappear into a crowd quickly and become lost. Attendees should remind children to find someone in a uniform if they become separated from parents or caregivers. There will be many uniformed safety personnel on site that can keep children safe and help to reunite them with loved ones in the event of a separate incident. Cleveland Division of Fire and Emergency Medical Service members will be on hand for emergencies.
- The Cleveland Division of Police will look for OVI offenses on city streets and highways. People found to be driving impaired will be arrested and their vehicles impounded. Celebrators who intend to consume alcohol are urged to plan to use RTA or ride-share services.
- Arrive early at your destination. Leave home early enough to allow for ample travel time and parking.
- Become familiarized with Little Italy parking garages and surface lots – understand that the lots closest to Mayfield Road will fill up first.
- Be aware of increased pedestrian traffic in the Little Italy neighborhood.
- Plan for the weather. At this time, the forecast does not call for inclement weather.
- If you see something, say something! Report suspicious or criminal activity to law enforcement. Call 216-621-1234 for non-emergencies. Call 9-1-1 for emergencies. Anonymous information can be provided by calling Crimestoppers at 216-25-CRIME.