(CLEVELAND, Ohio) — A non-fatal use of deadly force incident occurred on April 14, 2021, around 4 p.m. involving a DEA Special Agent and a 20-year-old male near East 82nd Street and Decker Avenue in Cleveland.
The facts of the case are as follows:
- The DEA Special Agent was conducting surveillance from his undercover vehicle
- During this time, the 20-year-old male arrived home
- After exiting his vehicle, the male approached the DEA Special Agent's undercover vehicle and appeared to alter the clothing around his waist where he was carrying a firearm
- The DEA Special Agent discharged his firearm, striking the male in the waist
- A firearm was recovered at the scene
This matter was presented in its entirety to a Cuyahoga County grand jury.
- Witnesses on the scene, including the 20-year-old male and the DEA Special Agent, appeared before the grand jury
- A forensic video expert appeared before the grand jury
- DNA evidence was presented during the grand jury proceedings which revealed the 20-year-old male's DNA was present on the firearm recovered at the scene
The grand jury declined to indict on the following charges:
- Two counts of Felonious Assault
The video of the incident, which was played in its entirety to the grand jury, can be viewed here
(Copyright 2022 iHeartMedia)
Listen to WTAM for news at the top and bottom of the hour