(Cleveland, OH) - The Cleveland State men’s basketball program has unveiled the team’s 2021-22 non-conference schedule.
The reigning Horizon League Champions will face off against three programs that appeared in the 2021 NCAA Tournament during their non-conference slate: at BYU (Nov. 9), vs. Ohio (Nov. 13) and at Oklahoma State (Dec. 13). Cleveland State’s Nov. 13 battle against the Bobcats is set as the program’s regular season home opener.
Cleveland State will travel to Durham, N.C. for its first-ever match against the Duke Blue Devils on Dec. 18.
The contest between the Vikings and Blue Devils marks the final non-conference game at Cameron Indoor for Duke Head Coach, and Hall-of-Famer, Mike Krzyzewski, who is set to retire following the 2021-22 season.
Following Cleveland State’s tilt against BYU, the Vikings will play four straight home contests: Ohio (Nov. 13), Edinboro (Nov. 16), Canisius (Nov. 20) and Coppin State (Nov. 22). CSU’s contests against Canisius and Coppin State are part of the Lake Erie Challenge, hosted by Cleveland State.
The Green and White will wrap up their non-conference schedule with a three-game road trip: Oklahoma State (Dec. 13), Duke (Dec. 18) and Kent State (Dec. 21).
Game times and promotions will be announced at a later date.
Cleveland State will welcome fans back to the Wolstein Center this fall, with season ticket packages starting at just $60.
2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule Notes:
- Cleveland State is 46-43 in its home openers, including 12-1 in its last 13 openers.
- The Vikings are 1-0 against Case Western, winning 83-64 on Jan. 7, 1977 at Cleveland Public Hall.
- The last time Cleveland State faced Otterbein was on Jan. 23, 1943 (L, 58-27).
- Ohio will make its way to Cleveland for the first time since Dec. 12, 2015. Four of the last five meetings between these two programs have been played at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio.
- The last MTE Coach Gates’ team participated in was the Battle for the Capital during the 2019-20 season, winning the tournament after a two-game sweep. Both Tre Gomillion and Alegevon Eichelberger were named to the All-Tournament Team.
- Cleveland State is a combined 4-1 all-time against Canisius and Coppin State.
- The Vikings have faced off against the Oklahoma State Cowboys once in program history falling 92-66 on Dec 21, 1981.
- Cleveland State’s meeting between BYU and Duke will be the first in program history.
- Cleveland State is led by third-year head coach Dennis Gates who has been named the #HLMBB Coach of the Year in his first two seasons.
- The Vikings are coming off of their third-ever NCAA Tournament appearance.
- CSU finished the 2020-21 season with a 19-8 record, including 16 regular season conference wins, marking the most wins in league play in team history (previously 15, 1992-93 season).
- Over the offseason, Cleveland State has added over 100 new full-season ticket accounts for the upcoming men’s basketball season.
Fans are encouraged to become a season ticket holder by visiting csuvikings.com, calling the ticket office at 216-687-4848, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Copyright, iHeartMedia 2021)