1. The Browns got a lump of coal in their stocking as they lost to the Bears on Christmas Eve 20-3. Even though Browns owner Jimmy Haslam has given coach Hue Jackson a vote of confidence, will he be on the Browns sideline for the 2018 season?
2. Some of the top local stories of 2017 were Facebook Live killer Steve Stephens murdering Robert Godwin Sr. on Easter, the passage of The Q transformation plan, Kyrie Irving wanting out of Cleveland, Mayor Frank Jackson being re-elected and the Indians setting an American League record by winning 22 games in a row. What was the biggest local story in 2017?
3. A box of manure was left on the doorstep of U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Steve Mnuchin along with a note that read: ““Mrs. Mnuchin & Trump, We’re returning the ‘gift’ of the Christmas tax bill. It’s bull (bleep). Warmest wishes, the American People”. The man leaving the box of dung along with the note has been identified as Robby Strong, a Los Angeles psychologist who works for the Department of Mental Health. He delivered one box to their in Beverly Hills and to a home in Bel Air which the bomb squad responded to. Should Strong be charged with any type of crime?
4. The man looking to unseat Russian President Vladimir Putin was barred from running in next year’s presidential election. The Russian central election commission ruled that Alexei Navalny is ineligible to take part due to a suspended prison sentence. Twelve members of the thirteen member commission voted to bar Navalny with one member abstaining. Does this come as any surprise? Do you think the Russians influenced the election process?
5. The Cavs played the Warriors on Christmas Day with the final score of Golden State 99 Cavaliers 92. How important was the game for both teams?
6. The list of top baby names are out for 2017 and topping the list for girls is Olivia followed by Cora, Amelia, Charlotte, Isla, Isabella, Maia, Aurora, Amara and Ava. The number one name for boys is Atticus followed by Asher, Jack, Theodore, Jasper, Milo, Oliver, Silas, Henry and Wyatt. Mike and John don’t make the top ten. What do you think about Oliva and Atticus being the top baby names?
7. It could resemble a scene from the thriller movie “The Birds” by Alfred Hitchcock if ever used in combat. South Korea is building a force of military drones that could target North Korea. A South Korean military official recently said the combat unit is expected to become operational sometime next year and the small weaponized drones could attack the North's missile, nuclear or other military targets in swarms. Could you imagine thousands of drones being used in a military maneuver?
8. Dateline: The United Kingdom. A mother took to the UK social forum “Mumset” to complain about a woman who was sunbathing topless at a pool in front of her kids at a family vacation resort. One mother posted “if looking at her boobs makes you uncomfortable, stop looking” while others “Mums” agreed with her. What do you think? Is it OK for women to go topless in front of children who are not her own?
9. The French government will ban students from using mobile phones in the country’s primary, junior and middle schools at the start of the next school year. Reports say that children will be allowed to bring their phones to school, however they will not allowed to use them until they leave, even during breaks. The French education minister said the ban was also a “public health message to families”, adding: “It’s good that children are not too often, or even at all, in front of a screen before the age of seven.” Do you agree with the French government's efforts?
10. Charlottesville, Virginia Police Chief Al Thomas, who is black, is stepping down following a critical review of his department's response to a White Supremacist rally in August that took the life of counter-protester Heather Heyer. A 200 plus page review found his police department was "ill prepared, lacked proper training and had a flawed plan for managing the Unite the Right rally." Thomas said in the statement that "nothing in my career has brought me more pride than serving as the police chief for the city of Charlottesville." Is Thomas the scapegoat for what happened this past summer?