(Akron) - There's some closure in connection with a fatal fire in Akron last December.
The owner of a house on East Tallmadge Avenue has agreed to pay a total of $360,000 to the estates of a couple and their two daughters who died when that house was gutted by fire.
The fire that killed Omar Riley, Shirley Wallis, and daughters Aniyla and Shanice Riley, was caused by unattended food on the stove. The estates for all four victims filed suit, saying landlord Joni Laidig was guilty of negligence, for not putting smoke detectors in the house.
A separate suit filed by the four estates against the maker of the stove is still pending in U.S. District Court.