1. Robin Williams hanged himself with a belt and cut his left wrist with a pocket knife in his Marin County, California home. The assistant chief deputy coroner says “Mr. Williams was found clothed in a seated position, unresponsive with a belt around his neck and the other end of the belt wedged between the closet door and the door frame” in his bedroom. “His right shoulder area was touching the door with his body perpendicular to the door and slightly suspended”. News organizations carried the announcement live on TV as well as Newsradio WTAM 1100 on radio. What do you think of the media coverage on Williams death? Do you think specifics should have been released on how he killed himself?
2. Authorities on Ferguson, Missouri have delayed revealing the identity of the police officer who fatally shot an unarmed teenager 18-year-old Michael Brown. Police department spokesman Timothy Zoll citied threats against the officer on social media as the reason for the delay and because of the threats there is now no timetable for the release of the officer’s name. Do you think the police should release the officer’s name? What do you think about the social media threats?
3. Meanwhile, President Obama issued a statement calling for “reflection and understanding” and says “the death of Michael Brown is heartbreaking”. Since the Department of Justice is already investigation the situation should Obama have waited to make a statement on the death of Michael Brown or did he do the right thing?
4. Speculation continues over the Browns Quarterback position. Theres a rumor that the Browns are shopping Brian Hoyer and the Houston Texans are interested in trading wr Andre Johnson for Hoyer. Would you make that trade?
5.The Indians have brought some rookies up with both David Murphy and Nick Swisher on the disabled list. Do you think the new players can help energize the Tribe down the stretch?
6. The University of Akron is submitting a proposal to host Browns training camp. Do you think it would be a good idea to train outside Berea for three weeks during camp or does it not make any difference? What would you think if the Browns did move camp to Akron?
7. The Navy is removing Bibles from lodges and hotels on U.S. Navy bases after an atheist group filed a formal complaint earlier this year over the placement of Bibles in rooms. What do you think about the Navy removing the Bibles?
8. The Feast of the Assumption in Little Italy starts Thursday and there is always something to do in Cleveland during the summer and early fall including Greek Festivals, Rib Cook-Offs, Arts Festivals and Oktoberfests. What is your favorite Cleveland event?
9. The Yahoo News Twitter account was recently hacked and a tweet went out to 815,000 followers saying, “BREAKING: EBOLA OUTBREAK IN ATLANTA! Estimated 145 people infected so far since Doctors carrying the disease were flown in from Africa,” .The message was retweeted at least 736 times in the 10 minutes it was up before Yahoo News deleted it. Should Twitter hackers be prosecuted for sending out tweets like this on legitimate news accounts?
10. The Huffington Post ranks the list of board games that most of you grew up with. Some of games on the list include Hungry Hippos, Trouble, Chutes and Ladders, Risk, Trivial Pursuit, Candyland, Scrabble, Monopoly, Battleship, Sorry, Life and Guess Who. What was your favorite childhood board game?
11. U.S. teenagers use of human growth hormones more than double between 2012 and 2013. A new poll by Drug-Free Kids says 11% of 3,705 teenagers in grades 9 to 12 polled said they had used HGH at least once, up from 5% in 2012. HGH use was higher among Blacks at 15% and Hispanics at 13% with Whites at 9%. The head of the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids says “young people are seeking out and using performance enhancing drugs hoping to improve their athletic performance or body appearance”. Does it surprise you that so many teenagers are using human growth hormones?