(Valley View)- A cigarette discarded in a mulch bed near the entrance of the Burger King caused a fire this morning.
Fire Chief Tom Koscielski says the blaze started around 7:30am on the corner of Granger and Canal Road. Garfield Heights, Brooklyn Heights, Independence and Cuyahoga assisted Valley View in putting out the fire.
Major damage was caused to the building's roof. The fire weakened the structure of the roof and the ceiling in the dining room was removed to put out the blaze says Koscielski. The dining room was just remodeled a few months ago.
A fire restoration crew has been called in to clean up damage. The building is closed until further notice.
There were no injuries.
Get breaking news sent to your mobile phone. Text "news" to 21095.
(Copyright © 2013 by Clear Channel/photos by Colleen O'Neill, all rights reserved.)